Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Pecan Cheesecake Squares

Holy rock and roll, I have found Heaven. These bars are amazing... I know, I know, how many times have I said this. I guess because I only post excellent tasting food. WHY would I post a sub par recipe. There really in no point.

So last Friday was my Mother's 70th birthday.

We actually started her extravaganza on Thursday. All of her daughters took her to Chicago for Dinner and a Show.

This was the end of dinner. We went to this wonderful restaurant in Chicago named Balena. Delicious food. From there, we took a cab and went to see the Million Dollar Quartet. It was a wonderful show featuring the likes of Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis and Ray Perkins. Just up my mothers alley. Her toe was a tapping and she was clapping.

It was a wonderful evening. On Friday was her actual birthday, we also had a birthday party for her then. My Mother loves cake without a lot of Frosting. So, I made her this delightful Citrus Almond Cake. (the only picture is above). I will post the recipe sometime when I take more photos. (the brain was not functioning) I also made these delicious mouth watering Pecan Cheesecake Squares. They were totally consumed. Everyone LOVED them and wanted the recipe. IF you really want to ask a question, WHY does someone really need to bring 2 desserts to the second day birthday extravaganza. Because I love to bake, or just crazy.. Hmmm definitely the second one....

They are not a hard bar to make, There is cooling time between each layer. That is why they take a bit longer to make. They also need to chill and set up before serving. This bar is easy, but just takes some time.


This tray was devoured. Remember, there was also 
a small lovely cake also. 

Pecan Cheesecake Squares
Adapted by positivelysplendid.com
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar, DIVIDED
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2 cups finely chopped pecans, DIVIDED
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, DIVIDED
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13 pans with tin foil and spray.

For the shortbread layer. In a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment, combine flour, 3/4 cup of brown sugar and butter. Mix until course crumbs. DO NOT WALK AWAY from the mixer. Unless you want a lump of dough. Stir in 1/2 cup of pecans. Press mixture into your prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes. When done, remove from oven and let cool for 5 - 10 minutes.

For the cheesecake layer. Please the cream cheese in your mixing bowl. (SAME One from above) Add in sugar and beat until smooth. Add in milk and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and mix until combined. Pour cream cheese mixture over the shortbread layer. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes.

For the pecan layer. In a medium bowl, combine the remaining 3/4 cup of brown sugar, corn syrup and melted butter. Gently stir in eggs, salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Once mix, add the 1 1/2 cups of pecans. Mix completely. Slowly pour the pecan mixture over the cooled cheesecake layer. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Or until the center is a rich brown color.


Pecan.. I could eat the bag of these. 
When buying nuts, store bags in containers
in your freezer. They will not go rancid over time


Find pebbles. 
I did this in the mixer, Please watch. YOU do not
want it to became a lump of dough.

Patting into pan. I sprayed my hands with Pam
so that the batter would not stick


The slightly baked short bread crust cooling and 
waiting for the cheesecake layer


Ready for the oven


This layer needed to cool for 10  minutes to firm up


Pecan Pie on top of the cheesecake layer


This pan was a bubbling when it came out of the oven


This bar cut so nice. 
Do you hear, EAT ME PLEASE


layers of shortbread, cream cheese and pecans

This is the next day. Totally chilled and set up. 
I may have eaten all of these on this tray.
Worth the price of pecans.

THE PICTURE OF HER BIRTHDAY CAKE FOR SATURDAY


Chocolate layer on bottom and banana cake on top.
The banana cake is my Florida sisters' recipe.
I will post that also someday. Delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment