Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Vanilla Ice Cream and Cherries

I realized that it had been over a week since my last post, and what had I made. NOTHING. Well, I have been cooking, but just Summer stuff. Burgers and Dogs. Nothing special. Though it is only the middle of July, we have had a very HOT summer. So I decided we needed an ice cream break. I purchased an ice cream maker about four years ago. It probably took three years prior to actually decide to buy one. My family loves ice cream, I love ice cream, but my diet does not. I have made so many different flavors of ice cream throughout the years. I cannot tell you my favorite.  I also like the different styles of ice cream. Cooked or Philadelpia style. It usually depends on how much time I want to spend and what I have a taste for. Usually though when it come down to it, I like to make Vanilla Ice Cream. I have tried many different variations, really you just need your cream, milk, sugar and good vanilla.


Making ice cream is very easy. The cherries were the work. As I pitted my cherries, I always remember why I do not buy cherries. These were very good tasting, but what a pain in the butt.


The ice is only four ingredients. Whipping Cream. milk, white sugar and vanilla. Your texture of ice cream will vary if you alter the cream and milk. Heavy Cream and Whole milk make a thicker ice cream. Mix the ingredients together, make sure the sugar is dissolved.


Pour into the ice cream maker. I always keep my bowl in the freezer. You NEVER want to fill the ice cream maker to the top. As the ice cream churned it freezes and grows. Believe me, the mess you get then, a lesson learned.


I could really just start eating here, but there was dinner to be made first....

Can you taste delicious..... I can.....

When you are short on time, place ice cream into a pie plate, it will freeze faster. The ice cream should freeze for a least 4 -6 hours, or even overnight. That is the beauty of having ice cream for dessert. It can be made in advanced and it is EASY.



Pitting cherries is not a hard job, just very mind numbing. I understand why people buy frozen cherries. I had over two cups of cherries for my topping.


I added a cup of water and 1 1/2 tablespoons of white sugar. Depending on the tartness of the cherries, please vary the sugar. Bring to a boil and let cook down. I added my tablespoon of corn starch, mixed in and reduced the heat to low. And let cook until thickened.


Vanilla Ice Cream with Cherry Sauce
ingredients
Ice Cream - Adapted from The Ultimate Ice Cream Book Bruce Weinstein
2 cups Whipping Cream
3/4 cup of Sugar
1 cup of Milk
2 teaspoons Vanilla

Mix whipping cream and sugar. The sugar needs to dissolve. Add milk and vanilla. Pour into frozen bowl and mix according to the manufacturers instructions. When done, place in a freezer safe bowl and chill.

Cherry Sauce
2 cups of pitted Cherries
1 cup of water
1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of white sugar
1 tablespoon of corn starch

Pitt cherries. Place cherries in a pan, add water and sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Sauce will form and cherries will cook down. After about 5 - 10 minutes, add corn starch and mix until no lumps are seen. Cook on low until thicken. Remove from heat and let cool.

Scoop ice cream and spoon cherries over top. Easy, delicious and a great part of summer.


                                                                          or you can eat  Snap Peas all summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment