Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Brown Butter, White Chocolate & Pecan Cookies

Today is one of my sister's birthday. She lives in Florida. I really wish I could hang out with her and eat cake, or cookies or pie. When we were younger, my Mom would make Triffle for her birthday. (Each one of us has our favorites.) Strawberries were still in season, homemade vanilla pudding and whipping cream. And Cake.  OMG amazing. Such a simple dessert could be SO showy and delicious. My Mom always used this big glass vase on a tall pedestal for this dessert. It did make a birthday special.

I have not made anything showy in awhile. Between cookies and bars for my Sweets business, a day job, and taking a Wilton Cake decorating class, my days buzz by. I am on the third level of classes from Wilton. Fondant. I was not sure I would like this class, but I like the creative side of it. I am working on Calla Lillys, Roses and Carnations.  I really like. I still like the taste of butter cream frosting, but fondant is just fun.

I have two trays to make for customers for Friday. About a month ago, I came across this recipe. It is amazing.  I love brown butter in anything. The dough is delicious and the cookies just melt in your mouth. These are a very bad habit. Even if I sell them all, there is always 1 or 2 left behind


The combination of brown butter, toasted pecans and white chocolate. The flavors just meld together and burst in your mouth with deliciousness. The recipe goes together quickly and they always set up nicely. I have made at least five batches of these cookies, always the same. YUMMY.

Brown Butter, White Chocolate & Pecan Cookies
Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup toasted chopped pecans

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. Set aside

To make the Brown Butter. Place both sticks of butter in a saucepan on medium to low heat. As the butter melts, swirl around in the pan. The butter will bubble and foam up. Continue to swirl and stir. Brown bits will start to form and a nutty smell will fill your kitchen. Do not let it burn, just brown. 

In a container, add both sugars and pour in brown butter. Mix together. Let cool completely. It can be made the night before. Chill for 1 - 24 hours. If made the night before, please refrigerate.

Mix the flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.

In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, add brown butter and sugar mixture. Mix for 2 -3 minutes until nice and smooth. Add one egg at a time, beating after each one. Add vanilla extract and just mix. Add the flour mixture to batter and mix until just incorporated. Fold in the white chocolate chips and toasted pecans until evenly distributed.

You can then chill the dough again if you want. I love the flavor of dough. Just like my chocolate chip cookies, this is a three day dough. You do not have to do that, if it does not work for your schedule.

Using a cookie scoop, place dough on the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 8-10 minutes. The should just be golden around the edges. 
Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer onto a rack to cool  


I am always tempted to just eat the cookie dough


Lovely cookies that spread just so.


I believe my husband ate all of these.


I really recommend these cookies for any occasion, especially a birthday. 
A perfect combination of flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment