Thursday, July 5, 2012

Malted Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars


Happy 4th of July, well one day late. My Husband and some of my neighbors like to put flags in our front yards. We put out 230 flags this year. It is very cool to drive down our street and see the patriotism.  It is also STILL very HOT here. We are still experiencing record heat. It is truely amazing that we have had so many hot days.  We are experiencing drought like conditions. (A side note: My husband likes having green grass)

On Tuesday while I was checking out Foodgawker.com, I came across this Fantastic Bar Recipe. I love making bars. They are easy to make and take so much less time than cookies. I really like making cookies, but there are millions of bar recipes. I love to look through old church cookbooks for something a little different.

This recipe jumped out at me, screaming MAKE ME!!! And I had all the ingredients.


I made these early in the morning on the 4th. My family picniced out at the beach that day. We were lucky and found shade. Burgers, Brats, Dogs, Chips, some fruit and these fabulous bars. The plate was almost gone when we left. Actually, I probably could have eaten the whole pan by myself. There is a lot of chocolate chips in these bars, but is there ever TOO much chocolate. This recipe is quick to throw together. The recipe called for a 9x9 pan. I do not have one, so I started with an 8x8. Pulled the parchment paper and batter out and placed into a 10x10 pan. Worked perfectly. Since I used the 10x10 pan, I started at 22 minutes cooking time. I added two more minutes. I feel that the edges were slightly dark. These bars were very moist 23 or 24 minutes. The cooking time would matter depending on the thickness.

Malted Chocolate Chip Bars
Perfectly made from bunsinmyoven.com

1 cup of room temperature butter
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup malted milk powder
2 Tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, brown sugar, malted milk powder, chocolate syrup and vanilla for two minutes. Beat in egg until well combined.
2. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir together
3. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix well
4. Stir in all the chocolate chips
5. Line a 9x9 or 10x10 baking dish with parchment paper. Press the dough into the pan.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 22 -30 minutes. (DEPENDING on the size of pan)
7. Cool the pan on a cooling rack.


The batter is a smooth and stiff.


I really fit into my pan nicely. The 8x8 pan was just to full. You could use a 9x13 pan and probably only cook for 18 to 20 minutes


My kitchen just smelled amazing when these come out of the oven

Bars ~~ got to LOVE them


No comments:

Post a Comment