Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Best Buttermilk Pancakes - Waffles

I love Waffles. I have always loved Waffles. When I was a young child, my mom would make waffles for us on Saturday mornings. She always baked on Saturdays. Muffins, coffee cakes or waffles. Our friends always like spending the night on Fridays, because my Mother would whip something up for us. So many wonderful memories, sitting around the kitchen table eating one of her creations. Wonderful

My Mom always made home made waffles. I never had an Eggo waffle until my twenties. And I realized how gross it tasted. A piece of cardboard with butter and syrup. BAD.

When my Florida sister turned 40, she published a small cookbook of her 40 favorite recipes. It was such a wonderful idea. My sister is a fabulous cook. She can make so many different types of food. I may borrow a few of her other recipes for this blog. My sister is a wonderful pancake maker. She has made loads of batches of pancakes for her boys and extended family. I am not a great pancake maker. I make waffles. And that is how that works for me and my family.

My sister loves to top her pancakes with fresh fruit. They look beautiful and are healthier for you. We both agree that real maple syrup is the best compliment to these pancakes or waffles. Last year I purchased online Maple Syrup from Cooks Illustrated. Well worth the money.


The Best Buttermilk Pancakes - Waffles
adapted from Suzi

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups buttermilk
6 tablespoons melted butter
2 large eggs - room temperature - Separated
fresh fruit for garnish

Directions
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt, set aside
In a large bowl combine the buttermilk, butter and egg yolks. Mix together
In a second medium bowl with a stand mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Add dry ingredients into the buttermilk mixture. Stir until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in beaten egg whites until just combined.


If you are making pancakes, heat a lightly butter griddle. For each pancake, gently spoon out a 1/4 cup of batter. Cook until top starts to bubble. Flip and cook about another minute or until brown.

If you are making waffles. preheat and spray waffle maker. Gently pour batter into waffle iron. Try not to overflow. It will ooze out all over your counter.


That was TOOOOOO full.


These waffles are light and fluffy. The egg whites and butter provide for a crispy exterior. This is a quick recipe for a homemade breakfast. They are so much better than the frozen waffles out there. Waffles, butter, fruit, and syrup all mixed together. What a great way to start the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment