Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Patriot Day

Today is Patriot Day.
Today is also a Tuesday.
The sky is the same color of blue. But the world did change after those terrible events. As I was getting ready for work  this morning, they were talking about it on the radio. I was also listening to the radio that morning eleven years ago. I remember the radio announcer telling people to turn on their TVs. I was watching video of the first plane hitting the world trade center and then the second plane hit the other tower. It was totally shocking. I drove to work, I talked to my Husband on the phone. He asked if it was a hoax. I started to cry. The TV was on at work, and there we sat. Then the Pentagon was hit. More people running for their lives. We saw the aftermath in Pennsylvania. Then the towers came down. I sat with my coworkers watching these events with tears in our eyes.

I did not personally know anyone who died in this terrible tragedy. My Boss at the time was on a flight out of Chicago to Phoenix. We had no idea where he was for awhile. They landed his plane in St. Louis and he drove to Phoenix. I remember standing outside and the silence. There are always planes flying overhead.


Last night, my Husband and I put out some flags. We talked about that Tuesday and the rest of that terrible week.  The amount of stories that came out of those events from that day. The effect it had on so many lives. It is terrible sad and yet truly amazing.

I was never a big flag flyer. But I cherish the freedom I have. We fly a flag everyday. The flags in my yard today, are just a small token of my appreciation for the sacrifices of all the people who suffered and died on Tuesday September 11th 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment