Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Shayla's Chocolate Chip Cookies

These are the best Chocolate Chip Cookies around. They are a mix of Cooks Illustrated and Jacque Torre's recipes. I am not a person who knows where "THE best restaurant is" or "WHO has the best this or that", but these cookies are Freaking Fabulous. I have made these cookies for everyone. I even sold them at a garage sale. The secret to making these cookies so great, is in the prep. They need time to sit. The melding of the flavors will rock your world. They can be made quickly, and still be good, but if you want over the top Cookies, they take time.

~~HEAVEN~~

I have found that I like using the Mini Chocolate Chips. I have used Chunks, Regular semi sweet, and Mini's, and the Mini's win out. They give flavor throughout the entire cookie. Everyone has their preferences, I understand. Use what works for you. There is also the debate of using Light or Dark Brown Sugar. It is also up to you. Soft or Crispy. I like both, I guess it boils down to what you have on hand. Most likely, light brown sugar.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients
2 Sticks (1 cup) Butter
1 1/4 cups of packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Fleur de Sel or SEA Salt
1 10 ounce bag of mini chocolate chips

Directions
Place butter into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter starts to melt, watch carefully. Swirling occasionally. The butter will foam and boil. Keep swirling. Once the butter turns a golden brown and develops a very nutty aroma, and brown bits start forming, remove from heat. Pour into your mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar and white sugar. Mix throughly and let sit. You can let sit for an hour, or refrigerate for 8 hours. It makes the sugars and butter form a caramel flavor.

After it has sat for a long as possible, put on stand mixer and paddle attachment and mix. (If refrigerated, bring to room temperature first.) Add eggs and mix after each egg. Add vanilla and mix. Place flour, baking soda and Fleur de Sel or Sea salt in a large bowl. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet. Gradually pour in chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
PUT into a covered bowl in the refrigerator and let sit for eight to 24 hours. I know, WHY. It just makes the flavors better.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or Parchment paper.
Scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes. I like my cookies light, not dark brown.
Let cool on a cooling rack.


Look at all of the Chips.


The cookie monster attacked my plate while I was getting my camera ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment