Tuesday, June 19, 2012

BBQ Chicken and Slaw Wraps

It is SO HOT outside. It is so crazy that the temperature is so hot in June and Summer has not officially started yet. Last Sunday, my Husband and I went to the beach. We actually went in the water to cool off. SO dinners have moved into a different catagory. What to make that is not Hot and not Heavy. So I tried something different last night. I really like wraps, but never took the time to make them. They are really easy and much better then what you might get in a restaurant.


I had a few problems folding the shell, probably to full. I need to do a little more research on folding techniques.  They were very good and my Husband and I liked trying something a little different for dinner.

I used leftover fried chicken. you could use any kind of chicken, even some pulled pork. I used two chicken breasts and a thigh and a couple of legs. Depending on the size of your group, this recipe really can be modified.


I used Mission Smart and Delicious Tortilla. These were Whole Wheat. You can really use whatever your taste suites you. I always "think" that wraps are somewhat healthy. Isn't that what the menu always states. You could go in so many different directions. Let your taste guide you.


I chopped up five pieces of chicken. I only made this recipe for two. If you have a couple of kids at home, Chop up the whole chicken.


While I was chopping my chicken, I started with a 1/2 cup of Barbeque Sauce, 1/2 cup of water and a squirt of the Sweet and Spicy Mustard. Brought to a boil and let cook down for about 3-4 minutes.


Reduce your heat and stir in the chicken. Let cook until heated through.



Chop up your pea pods and open the slaw. You can definitely make your own slaw, but I did not feel like it.



I warmed my tortilla shell in the microwave for 15 seconds. That is totally up to you. I place part of the meat on the shell and topped with Monteray Jack cheese. A good Sharp Cheedar would have also tasted yummy.


Top with the Coleslaw and Pea pods, and try to fold. I can tell there was to much food or I needed bigger shells.


We have also been eating Food Should Taste Good multigrain chips. These chips are Gluten Free, Carb Free and very good tasting. They have Flax and Sunflower seeds. Sometimes the Grocery store will have them on sale.

BBQ Chicken and Slaw Wraps
Serving vary on amount of Chicken used

Ingredients
8 piece Fried or Cooked Chicken
1/2 cup Barbeque Sauce
1/2 cup water
1 squirt of Sweet and Spicy Mustard
1 cup shedded Monteray Cheese
1/2 - 1 cup Coleslaw
1/2 - 1 cup chopped peapods

Directions
Chop chicken into strips and bitesize pieces. Into a medium fry pan, add barbeque sauce,water and spicy mustard. Bring to a boil for about 3 - 4 minutes. Once it has cooked down, add chicken and then reduce heat.

Chop peapod into pieces. Open Cole Slaw. Warm Tortilla shell in Microwave for 15 seconds. Place meat on the shell and top with cheese. Please add the slaw and peapods and fold.

Enjoy this quick and easy meal for lunch or dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment