Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Sausage and Couscous

Last night after working late, running to the grocery store and Target, it was late and  I was starving. AND so were my Husband and Son. So I opened up the frig and freezer and a concept jump out at me. Part of the reason why I named this blog Shayla Surprises. That is what I always call dinner when I am not using a "real" recipes. Maybe some notes if I am really prepared. I set everything on the countertop and got to work. Stove top or Skillet dishes are some of my favorites. They come together rather quickly and are easy . These dinners can be modified to fit what you like, the size of your family and what you have on hand.  AND you cooked dinner.


As I reviewed my ingredients, everything came in a bottle or package. I know, but at 7:00pm on Tuesday, we were not opening a box or ordering out. You can make your own tomato sauce, make roasted red peppers, even your own chicken broth. But not everyday works like that. I understand that some people may have never had regular couscous, or do not like it, but at my house we love couscous. In the past we have given up on the "whites" and rice and pasta are those. We used a lot of whole wheat at our house. My friend Mary turned me on to the Pearl Couscous. I will use the regular, but prefer the whole wheat. Pearl Couscous is similar to a small pasta, but so much better for you. If you have never tried it, or did not like it, give the Pearl Couscous a try. It is so good and my family just loves it.


I got my large skillet pan out and heated up a tablespoon of Olive oil.


Chopped up my onion into small pieces. Place them into the pan to saute and become clear. I minced 4 cloves of garlic and place them into the pan. Gave it a stir. Chopped one roasted red pepper and added that to the pan.



I chopped up both links of sausage and place them into the pan to cook.



I added the 2 cups of chicken broth and let that simmer. I added 2 cups of Tomato Sauce to the pan and let simmer.



Add 1/2 cup of pearl Couscous and let cook until tender. Reduce heat to simmer. Stir occasionally.


















Add two cups of fresh spinach and stir. The spinach will wilt and mix in. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add some fresh or dried basil and thyme. Even Herbs de Provence will work good.


AND why this is a Shayla Surprise. The ingredients picture did not show the CHEESE. Because I forgot. Please grate a 1/2 cup of cheese and mix in. You can always grate more for on top. We are cheese lovers at my house.


We ate the whole pan. If you want to add more of anything, go ahead.  This would be light if you were serving four  hungry people for dinner. You would need a salad and some bread. 

Sausage and Couscous
lightly serves 4

1 package Johnsonville Three Cheese Italian style Sausage
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1 yellow onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 roasted or plain red pepper
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup pearl Couscous
2 cups fresh Spinach
handful chopped basil
1/2 cup grated parmesan (more for on top)

Add 1 Tablespoon Olive oil to a large pan and turn up heat to high. Add chopped onions and saute until clear. Mince garlic cloves and add to pan. Stir. Chop red pepper and add to pan. Stir and cover.

Chop the sausage in bite size pieces. Add to the pan and cook. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add the tomato sauce. After a few minutes, add the pearl couscous. The couscous needs at least five minutes to cook. Stir occasionally. Should be tender to taste. Add the spinach and stir. Add chopped basil or other spices. Salt and Pepper for taste. Stir in grated parmesan cheese. Dinner is ready.



No comments:

Post a Comment