Friday, December 21, 2012

Double Chocolate Banana Bread

Merry almost Christmas. Today is our Christmas party at work. More pigging out.... I am going to explode. For the past two weeks there has been food at work. Just when you think you might run out of something, another vendor sends more food.

This is my Christmas tree. I just love Christmas trees.


This is a Frazier Fur that my Husband and I went out and cut down. My Husband's job is to bring it in the house and put it into the stand. The rest is mine. Last year we changed to LED cool white lights. The glow is so beautiful. There is over 800 lights on this tree. I love ornaments. Over the years, I have collected many different types of ornaments. Various colors and styles. I do not think I could have a tree with all the same color and size ornaments on it. Several years ago, I saw Peacock Feathers in the tops of trees at Marshall Fields. I hunted down Feathers and have been using them since.

This year I have decided to include my baking into some of my Christmas presents. Some of my coworkers will receive bags of Caramel Pop/Corn Puffs. I am also making mini loaves of Banana Bread for my neighbor ladies. They are also getting a few more items. I am so lucky to have wonderful neighbors. This recipe has been made before. It is absolutely heavenly. It is a moist intense flavored banana bread. It almost tastes like a Chocolate Cake with Banana undertones. And YES, another way to make banana bread. Who would have thought. Banana Bread for Christmas, yummy.



Double Chocolate Banana Bread
slightly adapted from Beckybakes.net

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter - room temp
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
3 riped bananas
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or butter a 9 x 5 loaf pan or 4 mini loaf pans and place on a baking sheet.

Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. set aside

Using a large bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed for a minute until soft. Add both sugars and beat for two more minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg. Reduce speed to low on mixer and add in bananas and mix. Add the dry ingredients in three additions, mixing until they disappear. Still on low, add the buttermilk, mixing until just incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Scrape batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 30 minutes. Cover bread loosely with a foil tent to keep the top from getting to dark. Continue to bake for another 40 - 45 minutes. (total baking time is between 70 and 75 minutes. Test with a toothpick into the center for fine crumbs. Transfer pan to a rack to cool for 20 minutes. Once cooled, invent onto plate.


Rich, Dark Chocolate flavor


Such a beautiful color. It looks great on a plate and definitely taste great.


Black Cherry playing with my Christmas decorations
Wishing everyone a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS.

No comments:

Post a Comment