Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Sunflower Seed Cookies

Today is my youngest sister's birthday. I still remember the day she was born. It was an exceptionally warm December day. I was ten years old and already had two sisters. We were so happy to add another girl to our group. My sister change the dynamics of our family. There had been seven years since a child was born, so this new sister made for a new "baby" in our family. My parents had taken many pictures of me when I was a baby, being the oldest. The next two girls some pictures, but this new baby. LOADS of pictures. I am not sharing any bad pictures today. (upside down picture in an early posting provides that)

Yesterday, I was talking to my Mom about dinner for my sister's birthday. My mother was looking for a specific cookie recipe. I do not think she found it. BUT, she came across this recipe for Sunflower Seed Cookies. She rattled off the recipe, and I went home last night and made cookies. These are fabulous. I could eat the whole container. My Mother's aunt Hilda gave her the recipe many years ago. Hilda is from George, Iowa and she can also be found in the Hope Reformed Church cookbook. I am sending her a thank you note for this wonderful recipe. We really should have made these sooner.


These are a fabulous tea cookie. Not to sweet, just enough salt from the sunflower seeds. A perfect blend of ingredients that just melt in your mouth.

Sunflower Seed Cookies
adapted from Hilda Hilbrands

Ingredients
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup oil
2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 1/2 - 4 cups flour
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 cup roasted sunflower seeds.

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper. Set aside

In a large bowl of a stand mixer, combine the butter, oil and sugar. Cream together until smooth.
Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
Add in baking powder, baking soda, and flour, gently mix in.
Fold in coconut and sunflower seeds until incorporated.
Using your cookie scoop, place dough on baking sheets and cook for 8 - 10 minutes. The edges should be just starting to turn brown.


just the perfect color. Brown on the edges.


Happy Birthday to my youngest sister on her National Holiday
and thank you to my Great Aunt Hilda for a fabulous cookie recipe. 


Sadly, these will be gone soon. A package shipped off to Colorado for my Stepson.
Some for my sister and her Birthday Holiday, and the rest to a few special friends.
I love sharing good cookies. Bringing Smiles 

No comments:

Post a Comment