Saturday, March 1, 2014

Carrot Cake Smoothie

For my Husband's birthday in January, I made a fantastic Carrot Cake. It is his absolute favorite. Sadly, his cake tasted fantastic but was not photo worthy. It was supposed to be a goose, but looked like the Loch ness monster. Things are funny sometimes. Embrace the slight bombs and move on from there

When I came across this recipe, I thought ... a delicious dessert for a meal in a glass. PERFECT for us. It is a heavy drink. You cannot slam this one. But, a great source for a meal replacement. And it is not loaded in calories or fat. A great treat that is not bad for you. LOVE it.

I made this smoothie last night. So drinks fall together quickly, this one had prep. It actually gave it time to bring the flavors together. So instead of a bowl of cereal, I had a "drink" this morning. I felt full for hours.


It was not a bright orange color. Kind of blah, but it tasted amazing

Carrot Cake Smoothie
adapted from dishingupdirt.com
Ingredients
2 cups almond milk
1 tablespoon chia seed
2 frozen bananas, peeled
1 cup carrots, slightly cooked & chopped
5 dates, pitted
2 tablespoons almond butter
1 cup oatmeal, old fashioned
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 shake of nutmeg
1 fresh ginger, nail size
1 squirt agave nectar

Directions
Place almond milk and chia seeds in blender to soak. Let sit for at least 5 minutes.
Peel and chop carrots. Place in bowl of water and microwave for 3-5 minutes. Softened. Not overcooked.
Drain water and let carrots cool. Place in blender. Add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed and blend away. 

There are also OPTIONS to add or place on top. 
~~ raisins
~~ coconut
~~ walnuts

This also made two large drinks. Do not let the glasses mislead you. It could be 4 medium drinks.


This is a full list of items. There is some prep work for this smoothie


Let the Chia Seeds soak in the Almond Milk for 5-10 minutes


Microwave the carrots for 3-5 minutes. 
I did these for 4 minutes. Make sure your blender is capable.


Since this was done the night before, I did not let me carrots cool completely. 
I really feel this drink benefits with sitting overnight. The flavors meld together


If I was funner, I would have place a carrot in the glass. 
Working on my photography skills. It is what you think of later on.


Loaded with so much goodness, I could go on and on.
WELCOME to March. Do some yoga and try a new recipe. 
Hopefully the weather will get warmer where you are at.

No comments:

Post a Comment