Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Apple Walnut Bread

Last night I was so ambitious. For dinner we had Meatloaf and Scallopped Potatoes. The meatloaf was delicious. The dinner remainded me of my childhood. My Mom would make meatloaf and creamy potatoes regularly. It filled us up and we loved it. I took a picture with my cell phone. I posted it on Facebook. I made a large pan of Meatloaf. Not really sure who will be eating all of this since we are only three people at my house again. Lots of left overs. Great for lunch.


 There is no presentation here. Not plated all pretty with the potatoes on the side and a garnish. Just Dinner

So for dessert, since we were not full enough from this huge dinner, I made an Apple Walnut Bread. This bread is so moist and not overly sweet. You get to enjoy the earthiness of the Apples and Walnuts. I found this recipe two years ago, and have made it several times. I made this bread for the fundraiser I worked at a few weeks ago. It makes one nice size loaf or four mini loaves. Perfect for gift giving.


ALSO, If you have a jar of Apple Butter in the back of the frig, pull it out. Apple Butter throws this bread over the TOP. And sadly my Apple Butter is now gone. 

Apple Walnut Bread
adapted from sparklingink.com

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 ounces (1/2 stick) melted butter
1/3 dark Karo syrup
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-3 apples (1 1/2 cup grated or finely chopped)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

TOPPING
Brown sugar
Cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan and set aside.
Peel and finely chop or grate apples.
Combine flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. 
In a large bowl of a stand mixer, add yogurt, brown sugar, melted butter, syrup and mix. Add eggs one at a time and mix. Add vanilla and mix.
Gently mix in dry ingredients until just combined.
Add in Apples and Walnuts and mix until combined.
Scoop batter into loaf pan. Top with Cinnamon and sprinkle some brown sugar.
Bake for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan. Invert and place on a plate.


a hearty batter mixed with the Apples and Walnuts


 The Cinnamon and Brown Sugar add a nice sweet topping


I really wish I had taken a picture with the Apple Butter, but it really tasted great plain.

Furthermore, I am usually not this ambitious at all. Just a Fluke.

No comments:

Post a Comment