Thursday, January 23, 2014

Chocolate Pistachio Smoothie

I had my first bomb. So not cool. I made a smoothie that well basically SUCKED. Almond Milk and Mandarin Oranges. blah... so I added Peach Yogurt. Still not better. Had I hit a road block in Smoothie Nation. Gone off the deep end of the Vitamix  abyss. NO, I rinsed out the appliance (according to the lady at Williams-Sonoma) and started a new one.

I had come across a recipe with all of my favorites. Really ... Mandarin oranges are good, peach yogurt not one of my favorites, WHY did I make it? Because I was trying to be different. This new recipes is really what I should have made to begin with.There is nothing wrong with going outside of the box, just do not compromise and provide lackluster results. Disappointment is inevitable. Trust me, there have been many bombs in my life. It all sounds good in my head.

Let me tell you about this recipe, I believe it is one of the BEST smoothies I have ever tasted. **I almost never say phrases like that.** Thick, creamy, flavorful and filling. And full of goodness. Dates, Nuts, Chia Seeds and Bananas. NO syrup today. All Healthy Goodness.  This is what Smoothie Nation is all about. TOTALLY recommend this recipe.


Two Tall Glasses of Deliciousness. 

Chocolate Pistachio Smoothie
Slightly changed by halfbakedharvest.com
Ingredients
1 1/4 cup almond milk. plus more to thin
2 tablespoons chia seeds
4 whole dates, pitted
1/3 cup roasted and shelled pistachios
3 frozen very ripe bananas
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

Directions
In a small bowl, mix together the milk and chia seeds. Let this sit for 10-15 minutes

If you have a Vitamix or high powered blender, add the milk and chia seed mixture, dates, pistachios, the frozen bananas, and cocoa powder in that order. Blend for 3-4 minutes. 

If you do not have a high powered blender, PLEASE blend the dates and pistachios first. They should become finely chopped and almost peanut butter like.  Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend for a couple of minutes. Scrap down the sides

If the shake is to think for you, add more milk. Drink away


Mixing together the milk and chia seeds. 


While I was shelling the Pistachios,
I wondered why I would not spend more for a bag of SHELLED Pistachios.
NO one was allowed to snag any, unless they helped.


This was a lot of work for the Vitamix. It ground everything up. 


There was no stirring here. The swizzle stick stayed right in the middle


My Husband proclaim these to be the Best Smoothies.
AND that is why I am posting 
Happy Drinking and let me know what you think



No comments:

Post a Comment